[mythtv-users] PCI-E Capture Card for Australia

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Jun 24 07:00:52 UTC 2014

On 24/06/2014 9:39 AM, Jason But wrote:
> On 06/23/14 19:23, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 14:44:24 +1000, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> I am currently in the process of moving my MythTV from a dedicated
>>> box in
>>> the lounge room to my dedicated central server. I currently have a
>>> Hauppauge
>>> WinTV-Nova-T card that has been working well. When I move it to my
>>> server,
>>> it no longer functions due to a dodgy PCI-E-to-PCI converter chip on
>>> the
>>> motherboard (ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge
>>> (rev
>>> 01)). The capture card will work for about 5-10 minutes before
>>> failing and
>>> not recording properly after that.
>>>
>>> It appears that the only solution is to move to a PCI-E capture
>>> card. Can
>>> anybody recommend a PCI-E based card (for Australia) that works
>>> well. Given
>>> my server runs 24/7, I am particularly interested in cards with
>>> drivers that
>>> are known to continue to work after extended up-time
>>>
>>> I am currently running kernel version 3.10 with a standard Gentoo
>>> install
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Jason
>> Have you considered USB tuners, or are they affected by the
>> motherboard problem too?
>
> No, the USB tuner would not be a problem
>
> I always considered USB tuners to be a "laptop-solution". I have been
> worried by the issue of weight from the antenna cable dragging down on
> the USB dongle. I've also been worried by a slight knock to my server
> causing a cable to become unplugged.

I run 2x PS3 PlayTV Tuners, which are dual USB Tuners, that work out of
the box under linux.  I live on the outer fringe of Melbourne, and these
units work fantastic.  The USB cable allows them to be located wherever
convenient.  The only issue with them, is that they dont work after a
reboot, you must shutdown and power up for the firmware to load properly.

-----
No virus found in this message.