[mythtv-users] Myth machine hangs

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Jun 23 15:42:16 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 11:56 PM, faginbagin wrote:
> On 6/23/2014 1:22 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 12.02 on the machine on which I run MythTV, both
>> back end and front end. (Note: this is not mythbuntu exactly, but the
>> garden variety Ubuntu 12.02 with Gnome fall back (or whatever it was
>> called -- not Unity). Normally I let the machine run 24/7. Over the
>> past few days I've turned the TV on and found that the machine is
>> hung. I get no response to the remote control, or the wireless USB
>> keyboard. I tried connecting with ssh from another machine without
>> success. The only thing that I've tried that works is to force a
>> power down and then restart.
>>
>> What logs should I be looking at to start to figure out what's
>> happening?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> I would check if the machine's getting hot using lm-sensors. And if I
> hadn't opened it up and cleaned out the dust in a while, I would do
> that now. And while I had it open, I would take a close look at all
> the capacitors on the MoBo and add-on cards and see if any were
> leaking or bulging. If the caps look OK and the machine is clean and
> not running hot and still locking up, I might try swapping out the
> power supply.

Thanks. I just installed lm-sensors. This morning it's running nice and
cool. I'll have to check it again this afternoon and see what I have.

rsteff at ThinkCentre-M58p:~$ sudo sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +40.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:       +40.0°C  (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens