[mythtv-users] utterley confused

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jun 22 02:29:26 UTC 2014

On 21 Jun 2014, at 6:48 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> Hi
>> all the wiki, google etc help on input groups is so complicated
>>
>> I have 2 DVB cards each configured to allow 2 channels
>> What (and why) would I set each input group 1 and 2
>>
>> The help words do not help much ie leave as generic unless something occurs ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>
>> BTW I can record from 2 cards even though a scan on either shows it to be working
>> BBTW I?m in the process of moving my backend to a new machine. After much heartache I dropped the DB and am stating from scratch. My DB has just been upgraded over the years.
>
> Input groups are intended to support mutual exclusivity.  This is for a
> hybrid tuner that appears as separate and independent analog and digital
> tuners.  This is for both firewire and analog capture off a single cable
> box.
>
> Unless you have a situation where you must describe to MythTV two pieces
> of hardware that cannot be used simultaneously, don't touch input groups.

Me no touch, each card listed 1 as generic 2 as itself, I could record only 1 card’s channel(s) the other was Conflict.
I created new groups A, B, C and D assiged A and B to card 1, C and D to card 2.
Behold I can now record from both cards (at same time). But now …

This is a clean DB so the schedules are very short and simple. I use EIT (eg our channels change program info 5 min before the scheduled program EIT tracks that, also it works)
I record TenNewsAtFive on ony channel at any time, qualified by This Channel, duplicate checks None.
My schedules show 1 line to record it.
My recordings show TWO news recorded, slighly different times

I cannot see anything in EIT that would cause this. Over the years it has not happened, but happens on THIS schedule, not on others. I’m still utterley confused!

James