[mythtv-users] vdr and mythv

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Tue Jun 17 06:08:34 UTC 2014

Richard Hulme wrote:

> On 16/06/14 14:08, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Richard Morton wrote:
>>
>>> It sounds like he is in a territory where he can pick up satellite
>>> intended for different countries and each of those stations
>>> broadcasts shows dubbed into their local languages.
>>
>> Precisely.
>>
>>> Therefore he wants to record only shows where an English audio track
>>> is present
>>
>> Yup.
>>
>> I asked about this feature about a year ago, and even had a look at
>> the DVB stream to verify that the language info is indeed present.
>> AFAICT it's just not being stored as part of the EPG data.
>
> And I guess that's the main stumbling block.  If it's not in the EPG

I haven't investigated the EPG data, I don't know how. I've checked the
mythtv database contents, and it's not present there.

> (and even if it were, I don't know whether MythTV even supports that
> at the moment),

Right.

> the scheduler must schedule all showings because it can't know in
> advance which one will be in the right language.  There would
> have to be some post-processing that then checks the available audio
> tracks and deletes the recordings that don't match.

Having the information available in the EPG is a pre-requisite, but I
kind of assume it is available - newspapers and TV-magazine have the
language(s) in their printed schedules.

> You could almost certainly achieve the same thing now by running a
> user-job after recording that, for example, runs ffmpeg to determine
> the audio languages present and if not English (or whatever
> language(s)), deletes the recording.

Would ffmpeg be able to do that?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.4°C)