[mythtv-users] Shared filesystem that looks different to different machines

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:15:17 UTC 2014

Hoi Hika,

> Hoi Jeff,

> Thursday, June 5, 2014, 3:52:37 PM, you wrote:

>> On 06/05/2014 09:23 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Nice thought!
>>>
>>> You create a master music directory, you create a NFS share for every
>>> client on that same volume and you create a loop that goes through
>>> this list of directories to keep them synced by hardlink once a day.
>>> This with exclusion of the podcast subdirectory. Be sure to run the
>>> sync at a time the NFS shares are not used. Maybe you should unexport
>>> those shares at the start of the sync and then reexport them after.

>> Yes, but since these are just files I don't see why an unexport/reexport
>> is required.  The clients will see any file changes just like any other
>> file changes shared over NFS.

> Possibly not. It would be an extra precaution against the export going
> stale, by forcing a fresh export. Just a refresh of the export
> probably would have the same effect

>> Also, I don't see a specific need to create an NFS share for every
>> client.  Just share a top level directory once and then set the "music"
>> directory of each client to an appropriate subdirectory inside the NFS
>> share -- analogous to home directories.

> The export has to be read-write for the podcast subdirectory. By
> creating separate exports, which is quite simple to do, you prevent
> read-write access by multiple clients, which is as I said before not a
> strong point for NFS.

>> Jeff

Thinking further. If you make your sync script a bit smarter with a
separate file containing al the client export directories and there
owners, you let the script check on the existence of that directory
and make it at need with ownership and rights as wanted and then
adding/removing it to/from your /etc/exports.
That way by just adding or removing a directory to/from that file, the
wanted exports are there after every sync.
You should have a master /etc/exports containing any other exports.
And on syncing you add the available music exports and replace the
current /etc/exports. Then you restart nfs in the script.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop