[mythtv-users] Shared filesystem that looks different to different machines

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:23:56 UTC 2014

Hoi Jeff,

> On 06/03/2014 11:56 PM, Mike Holden wrote:
>> Sounds like a weird question, so let me elucidate!

> I solved something like this by duplicating the directory structure --
> but don't stop reading yet!  -- using _hard links_.  That way you can
> put the desired files in any number of places but each only takes up
> space once (assuming they are on the same filesystem).

> A simple rsync script keeps the links up to date.

> Read the rsync man page.  The important parameter is --link-dest=DIR

> Jeff

Nice thought!

You create a master music directory, you create a NFS share for every
client on that same volume and you create a loop that goes through
this list of directories to keep them synced by hardlink once a day.
This with exclusion of the podcast subdirectory. Be sure to run the
sync at a time the NFS shares are not used. Maybe you should unexport
those shares at the start of the sync and then reexport them after.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop