[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend memory leak on master

Timothy Krantz tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com
Wed Jun 4 19:49:53 UTC 2014

Hi,
I seem to be experiencing a memory leak during playback with the latest
master code.  I am not sure how long it has been going on.  It does not
happen during playback of all content, just some of it.  I first noticed it
on my ARM  based frontend and was originally concerned that it had to do
with the arm port of the code.  Today though I was able to confirm that
certain  programs cause the same issue on both arm and intel, and others do
not (one either platform).  It is consistent, recordings either leak memory
on both or on neither.  It is just much more obvious on my arm frontend
because it has only 1 gig of memory, my intel has 4gig.

In particular, and this is just based on what I have currently recorded,
programs recorded digitally on my local ABC affiliate leak memory upon
playback.  To be even more precise, my recordings of "Black Box" leak
memory.  This is observed so far by using top.  The RES column for
mythfrontend increases on every refresh and stays at that level after
playback is completed.  Starting another episode of "Black Box" and the
memory usage continues to climb.  After more than an hour it had gone from
262744 to 2.1gig.

I was wondering if anyone else had copies of recordings from ABC, in
particular of "Black Box" and could attempt to reproduce this behavior.  Or
if anyone else is seeing possible memory leaks using master during playback
of other material.

I vaguely recall a thread some time back mentioning valgrind as the
appropriate method of documenting a memory leak.  I am not yet familiar with
valgrind.  Is this still the proper tool?

Thanks for any input.

Tim Krantz