[mythtv-users] Shared filesystem that looks different to different machines

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 17:00:07 UTC 2014

On 04/06/14 16:20, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 6/4/2014 10:53 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>> I don't believe that NFS would have any issue with nesting a mount inside
>> another mount like this, after all the OS just treats it as another filesystem
>> and every linux system I have ever seen does this (/dev, /proc, etc).
>
> NFS can have issues if you mount one NFS volume within another NFS volume.  If
> access to the lower volume is ever anything but 100% stable, and the mount point
> for the upper volume is lost, bad things happen. It's the same reason why you
> never use an NFS share for swap space.

Actually NFSv4 almost forces this structure on you. You have to have a kind of
"root" NFS share which has a magic ID of zero (forget the exact incantation) and
then all the other shares you actually want to make are forced under that share
with appropriate filesystem linkages and permissions.

I could never get this working. Ever.

--

Mike Perkins