[mythtv-users] Some master/slave backend advise required

Johan Van der Kolk johan.vanderkolk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:53:09 UTC 2014

On 03 Jun 2014, at 02:37, Jon Heizer <jheizer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your databases are not also on the array are they?  That would be bad news.

The database is on SSD.

> Really you have your 2 possible issues.  CPU currently being maxed and the IO bandwidth.  These are all guesses since this is a serious load but personally if you wanted them to remain a single machine I'd swap the i5 with an i7 and break the array into at least 2.  Whether trying 2 vdevs in a raidz or just 2 totally separate raidz since myth can have ad many individual storage locations as you want. And/or put a SSD ZiL in front of any raidz configuration.  But if you are really pushing that IO load it could still be an issue.  Or build a second box and just put 1/2 the storage and 1/2 the tuners in it as a slave backend if you don't want to move to an i7.

The physical location of the dish forces me to add a remote backend. I do not want to run 4 thick RF cables over a distance of 50 meters. Neither nice, nor good for signal quality. So the second box is a must not an option. Just trying to optimise the use of the two boxes. For sure all 4 tuners are moving to the new box and are removed from the current master BE, which will have no tuners, only storage and the database.

That was my initial idea.