[mythtv-users] Twin DVB-S2 PCIe device

Gavin Whitehead gavin at alabastercranium.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 18:00:31 UTC 2014

On 01/06/2014 08:26, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 31/05/2014 22:24, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
>> On 29/05/2014 10:38, Scott Moncrieff wrote:
>>> I also use a TBS6981 dual dvb-s2 and the open source drivers are
>>> included in the current kernel. All you need to do to get it working
>>> is get the firmware from the TBS site and copy it to /lib/firmware/
>>>
>>> I spent a lot of time trying to make the TBS drivers work without
>>> any luck.
>>>

>>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Mike Bibbings
>>> <mike.bibbings at gmail.com <mailto:mike.bibbings at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 29/05/14 07:35, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>>>
>>>         Hello,
>>>
>>>         I want to upgrade mythbackend with a double DVB-S2 device, I
>>>         want to
>>>         use the PCIe interface for it.
>>>
>>>         I search some cheap devices:
>>>
>>>             - DVBSky S952: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVBSky_S952
>>>
>>>             - TeVii S480: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TeVii_S480
>>>
>>>         Anyone has this devices? Any recommendation?
>>>
>>>         I want to add it in a HP ProLiant MicroServer (150 W).
>>>
>>>         Regards.
>>>
>>>     I use the TBS 6981, originally with the TBS linux drivers, but
>>>     am now using the open source drivers in the latest kernels (3.12
>>>     and on from memory).
>>>
>>>     The TBS linux drivers do work, but use a very old version of the
>>>     media software stack, which can cause problems if you have
>>>     devices from other suppliers.
>>>
>>>     Mike

>> Scott, I've just upgraded from Xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 and tried to
>> get my TBS 6981 to work with the kernel drivers (3.13.0.x). No luck.
>> /var/log/syslog reported that the the 'on demand' firmware didn't load.
>>
>> Can you let me know what steps you went through to get this working?
>> And what Os are you running?
>>
>> Gavin

> This page gives the instructions for the  "dvb-fe-cx24117.fw" firmware
> file in /lib/firmware/  :
>
> https://github.com/ljalves/linux_media/wiki/CX24117-firmware
>
> Mike

I'm reasonably sure that I had done these things.
I believe the TBS 6891 uses the cx23885 chipset/firmware, not the cx24117.

The files 'v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw' and 'v4l-cx23885-enc.fw' were
already in /lib/firmware (from the 12.04 installation using the TBS
drivers) and I copied '|dvb-fe-cx24117.fw|' to /lib/firmware having
followed the instructions at
https://github.com/ljalves/linux_media/wiki/CX24117-firmware.

Is there more to installing the firmware than just 'sudo cp
v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw/lib/firmware'?

I will try again (though not until next weekend)

Thanks for the advice,

Gavin