[mythtv-users] Tearing on NUC i3

Greg Lucas-Smith bwobbones at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:01:07 UTC 2014

I've had a FE/BE combination running for the last 8 or 9 years in my
lounge.  The machine that looked quite pretty at that time now has been
through the strain of 3 kids and looks decidedly worse for wear.  It's an
old dual-core nvidia based beast and everything still works beautifully on
it.  This weekend I went out and bought and Intel NUC i3 to act as a
primary FE so I can put the BE in the other room to improve my WAF but I've
got problems with tearing.

Based on various forum discussions I've tried numerous things:

* Installed the official drivers from here:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2014/intelr-graphics-installer-1.0.5-linux
* Used VAAPI and raised the number of cores to 4 in Setup->Video->Playback
(3/8)
* put -bs in my /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf
(as per
http://askubuntu.com/questions/450593/how-do-i-eliminate-screen-tearing-on-14-04-and-xbmc-with-nvidia-331
)
* updated libsdl1.2 (as per the previous reference)

And now I'm at a bit of a loss.

Both machines are using Mythbuntu 14.04.  It seems really improbable that
my ancient ugly computer can playback 1080p perfectly while this much more
powerful machine struggles with the basics.

Anyone have any ideas?

Greg