[mythtv-users] Record Weekly, how fuzzy?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 27 07:15:16 UTC 2014

On 07/27/2014 02:55 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> And note that a record-weekly rule would work fine for what you want.
> Your problem is not the use of the record-weekly rule, it's the use of
> a timeslot rule rather than a "normal" (title-based) recording rule.
>
> The only gotcha with a weekly recording rule is that the time and date
> of the show used to create the rule is the start of the week.  So if
> you set up the rule using a showing that started at 8:32 and next week
> it shows at 8:30, that's 2 minutes before your new week starts, so it
> would think, "I already have an episode for this week, so I'll wait
> for the next episode."  So just make and/or re-make (as many times as
> required) the rule with the earliest-starting episode you see.  (If
> you made the rule with the 8:32 start time and see one the next month
> starting at 8:30, just delete and re-create the rule with the 8:30
> start time.)

Oh, I suppose I should have also said that given good listings data,
there's no reason to use a timeslot rule--and there may be no reason to
use a record-weekly rule.  Instead, duplicate matching will ensure you
only get episodes that you haven't already recorded.

Timeslot rules should be used only when you have garbage for listings
information (i.e. episodes with generic information that can't be
distinguished from one another) for a show that airs multiple times
throughout the week but you know that the new episode only airs on
Monday night (or whatever) on a given channel at a given time (and it
must be an exact time).

A record weekly rule is only used when you're recording a show that airs
multiple times throughout the week, but you only want an episode a
week--and you really don't care which one.

However, in both cases, if you have good listings data, MythTV will know
whether it's recorded episodes previously and will only record things
you haven't already.  So if you have good listings data for the show,
just use a record all rule with duplicate matching enabled.  Feel free
to set filters, too--such as "new episodes only".

Mike