[mythtv-users] partial lock with hdhr3-cc

Leo Butler leo.butler at member.ams.org
Fri Jul 25 21:35:01 UTC 2014

   > However, I wonder if mythtv-setup isn't also at fault, because
   > it lets one configure an hdhr3-cc tuner by ip address alone--without
   > warning that an undiscovered hdhr will not be configured properly?
   > I have added a note to the wiki page about this.
   >

   > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime#Initial_Checkout_and_Activation
   >
   > I spent a good deal of time chasing down red-herring errors from the
   > backend logs.

   I don't know that I would blame mythtv-setup because something completely
   unrelated caused an issue.  Do you blame Firefox for not warning you when
   your router is misconfigured?

I don't see the analogy.

Mythtv-setup can't correctly configure mythtv to use an hdhr unless
the device is discovered. The way m-s works at the moment seems to
imply that it can.

   Honestly, your note in the wiki is completely pointless.

You're entitled to your opinion. Note that just before this, the wiki
shows how to build hdhomerun_config from source, which *is* pointless
and out-of-date.

   Just a few steps before it, they do a discover... which would imply
   that nothing is blocking, or it would not have returned the IP
   address in the first place.

I added the output along with the note.

   I guess the moral of your story is, if you run a firewall, you need to
   update it if your network configuration changes.  Which, when you think
   about it, is really pretty obvious.  I completely appreciate your
   frustration though, I doubt there is anyone on this list that hasn't wasted
   days of their lives on boneheaded oversights like this.

Ok, true enough. But if your logs are also full of misleading error
messages, it can take a long time to figure out which boneheaded error
you have made. I added the note and sent my follow-up to help others
(incl. my future self) to solve this problem and not waste their time,
too. The damned thing is that I had solved this problem a year ago (in
under an hour) and this time round it took me a week to re-learn the
lesson.

Leo