[mythtv-users] partial lock with hdhr3-cc

Leo Butler leo.butler at member.ams.org
Fri Jul 25 20:18:40 UTC 2014

>   I recently moved house and am setting up my cable/internet/mythtv.
>   I am having a problem with mythtv recording and watching live tv using
>   the hdhr3-cc. A typical example would be: from Watch TV, I select 48,
>   and after a few seconds, the warning comes onscreen that only a partial
>   lock is attained with power level 87%.
>
>   Here is the info from the hdhr3 page at the same time:
>
>   Virtual Channel	 48 amc
>   Frequency	 585.000 MHz
>   Program Number	 48
>   Authorization	 subscribed
>   CCI Protection	 unrestricted
>   CGMS Protection	 n/a
>   Modulation Lock	 qam256
>   PCR Lock   locked
>   Signal Strength	87% (-7.9 dBmV)
>   Signal Quality	88% (33.4 dB)
>   Symbol Quality	100%
>   Streaming Rate	1.569 Mbps
>   Resource Lock	none
>
>   I am completely at sea on how to solve this problem. Vlc plays the
>   channels without problem.
>
>   Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
>   Leo

Ok, answering my own question, here is the solution to my problem.
The firewall on the backend was blocking discovery of the hdhr3-cc.
On my mythbuntu backend

ufw allow from <ip-address-of-hdhr>

solved the problem.

This problem arose because the subnet of the backend and prime changed
on the new network, and I failed to update the firewall rules.

However, I wonder if mythtv-setup isn't also at fault, because
it lets one configure an hdhr3-cc tuner by ip address alone--without
warning that an undiscovered hdhr will not be configured properly?
I have added a note to the wiki page about this.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime#Initial_Checkout_and_Activation

I spent a good deal of time chasing down red-herring errors from the
backend logs.

Leo