[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jul 24 02:49:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:26:12 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Well do you guys think that using ssd for buffer will imrove mythtv ?
>>

>Define improve.
>
>Unlike others, I like the idea of using an SSD as a recording drive...
>because of the lack of access times I could easily sustain all of my
>recordings and playback on a single drive... i currently use 3 spinning
>recording disks.  Using a user job I could then move them a week or so
>later to spinning media.  This solution would allow my spinning media to
>sleep except when actually moving the recordings over, or watching an
>episode that recorded over a week prior, and it would let me reduce the
>spinning media to a single large drive.

Unfortunately that would not work quite as well as you might think.
Whenever a frontend brings up the list of recordings, all the
recording drives would be checked to see if the recordings are
available.  Any that are not available are greyed out (in
MythCenter-wide).  So when you are watching recordings, all those
drives will be started.

>Note, I tried recording 5 HD
>streams to a single spinning disk, and while it seemed to work, I could
>hear the drive thrashing.  Spreading the recordings over 3 smaller drives
>made a huge difference, especially because I have peaked at 8 HD recordings
>at once.

When there is too much disk activity on one drive, you can get
recordings with blocks of data missing.  I believe there will be a log
entry about it, but you need to check.  So unless you did that, or
played all your test recordings, you may have missed a problem with
them.