[mythtv-users] suspend

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 21:43:12 UTC 2014

Hoi Thomas,

> On 23/07/14 21:26, Kevin Johnson wrote:
>> So possibly a dumb question, but why not do it like I am?
>>
>> dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.
>> UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
>>
>> Is this somehow wrong?  Does this not work for you?
>>
>> Not saying the way I did it is right or wrong.  Just asking.

> Do you expect everyone to know everything? What does your command
> differently than a simple "pm-suspend"?

A bit more respect! He picked that command from the wiki. Possibly
pm-utils didn't exist yet when that was written.

Both pm-utils and the hibernate scripts try to handle a
suspend/hibernation in such a way that problems on wake-up are
prevented. Not all software will react gracefully!

As far as I can see the above command just starts a suspend through
upower. pm-utils and the hibernate scripts provide a layer around
that.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven