[mythtv-users] Digital switch, HDHR a brick?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 21:21:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Bert Haskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> Big!Blue!Funk!
> After hearing about my digital neighbors being hauled off in the big cable
> boxcars,
> it finally hit here.
> This morning Charter cable sent both my HDHR ATSC box and my DCH3416 off to
> the gas chambers.

I would have imagined that Charter had sent you numerous
letters warning you of the impending digital encryption of
your subscribed TV service.  In any case, since all legitimate
DCH3416s in the US are owned by the MSO(*), Charter should
replace it for you so that you can continue to receive their
service.  Unless you are cancelling your TV service, of course,
in which case you have to return your DCH3416 to them to
avoid some (onerous) charge they put on your bill.

> Will either of these work with a ( attic ) OTA setup and if not what is the
> next best choice?

The HDHR (other than the Prime) can do OTA.  The newer
gens (the HDHR4, or the HDTC) have tuners than the
original, or even the HDHR3, but all should work if the
signal is sufficient.

The DCH3416 does not to OTA.

Gary

(*) STBs are not directly sold, only leased, in the US.
The exception was a few early STBs offered to sale
by a smaller MSO before they were "disappeared"
(bought by a bigger competitor).  AFAIK, the DCH3416
was never offered by that MSO.  And, as the STB
remains the property of the MSO, resale by the
non-owner is considered (in most jurisdictions) as
illegal.  Any STBs imported from other countries that
allow such sales (i.e. Canada) are not (supposed to
be) activated in the US by policy and practice,
although, as with anything else, sometimes you can
"game" the system.