[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:13:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2014, at 21:05, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>> I’m curious. Seagate’s "ATA more than an interface” says if you put more than 1 disk in a box it WILL fail. I see lots of opposition to this idea but we are also flooded with stories like yours.
>
> Every hard drive will eventually fail, but what you suggest is that it would be pointless for motherboards to have more than one disk port.

And that particular article is over ten years old.  Particular
criticisms I have heard of it included:

* It was Seagate trying to justify certain pricing models
  (i.e. it is reasonable to charge 4x for enterprise)
* To reduce design/manufacturing costs, Seagate (and
  others) now use increased commonality in their
  engineering and manufacturing processes across both
  the consumer and enterprise line.
* Seagate, to some extent, has moved their "value add"
  pricing to firmware specific implementation (such as
  not allowing TLDR in some consumer drives)