[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jul 23 01:40:43 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 10:14 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> <mailto:gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > After facing a 2nd green drive failure since January, I began dreaming of
>      > using SSDs as long-term storage. Just curious if anyone's using them as
>      > storage for video libraries.
>      >
>      > Realize the initial cost is higher, but I'm assuming over the long term the
>      > savings would be seen through:
>      >
>      > - lower power usage
>      > - lower heat
>      > - time cost (not having to re-rip libraries every time a drive fails)
>      > - etc :-)
>
>     OPEX vs CAPEX.  You would have to also include the time value
>     of money, and the ROI in any investments.  That is if you want
>     a real economic answer, rather than a "feels good" answer that
>     many will no doubt provide.

  I once did the math of the cost of running a hard drive for a year - this was
actually more on the basis of at what point would I actually save money
replacing several smaller capacity drives with a single large one.

  Most hard drives use about 10 watts (0.01 kw), or about 88 kwh/year. If you
pay $0.12/kwh, that comes out to about $10/year.  This ignores any cost you pay
for cooling, which really depends on where you live.

  At that cost, and at current price of SSD (and making the leap that a SSD uses
0 watts), it would take long to pay for itself.

  However, if you had 6 x 500 GB (costing $60/year), replacing it with a 3 TB HD
($100) pays for itself in 18 months.

  Of course, this payback can be considerably different depending on how much
you pay for your power, how many hard drives you are replacing, whether you need
redundancy, etc.

  But a simple calculation on this aspect at least isn't that hard.