[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jul 23 00:39:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
> > On the contrary, for an end user, redundancy is much easier and cheaper
> > implement than backups.  If all you want to do is protect against a
> single
> > drive failure, all you need is one extra drive.  Backups require at
> minimum
> > double the amount of storage, and proper backups involve multiple times
> the
> > amount of storage in rotation.
>
> It depends on your definition of the term "backup".  Using
> the vernacular of something like TSM, an *archive* (a complete,
> independent copy) certainly takes multiple times the storage
> as each is (essentially) container of the current contents at
> a point in time (bare metal restoration is sometimes supported).
> A system *backup*, on the other hand, can use a database to
> track active and inactive files, and only needs to store one copy
> of a file with a particular hash (fancier backup systems might
> maintain deltas of changed files, rather than a new copy for
> each changed file, and data de-duplication solutions exist
> so that only one copy of a particular stream of data (sometimes
> entire files, sometimes partial files) needs to be kept on the
> backup media).  Of course proper archives and backups do also
> have multiple copy (and site) requirements, since you can never
> tell when the next Chicxulub asteroid will hit (although, I suspect,
> TV will be the least of your worries when it does).

Exactly.  Webster defines backup as simply "a copy of computer data".

I use the simplest backup strategy known to man... I copy my "important"
recordings to an external drive that is only powered on long enough to
perform said backup.  I run a script based on rsnapshot, so I can do some
recovery of deleted files (something that a raid array cannot do).  Can't
get any more basic.  But it means that if one of my recording drives fail,
I don't have to tell my wife that I lost an entire season of her favorite
show.

Simple, and cheap... and actually fast compared to some solutions.