[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 23 00:17:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 07:34:09PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 07/22/14 17:07, Mike Perkins wrote:
> > On 22/07/14 21:01, David Madsen wrote:
> >> Personally, I think SSDs are overkill for recording storage.  The cost/GB
> >> ratio is still orders of magnitude higher than HDDs, and the benefits you
> >> get from a SSD (fast random access) don't really match what you need for
> >> recordings (decent sequential performance).  Even the slowest HDDs these
> >> days are still fast enough to record and watch multiple simultaneous
> >> streams, since they are still large sequential operations, just
> >> interleaved
> >> with each other.  Also, the bitrates required for recording and playback
> >> are relatively low compared to the sequential throughput of HDDs
> >> available
> >> today.
> >>
> >> Hosting the OS/system/database/metadata on an SSD does make more sense
> >> however since those items will benefit much more from the higher random
> >> throughput, and do not take large amounts of space.
> >>
> >> If you're worried about losing data from drive failures, I think backups
> >> and/or drive mirroring are a better method to managing that.
> >>
> > Don't forget other important advantages of SSDs: No moving parts. Much
> > lower power consumption - less heat. No vibration. Often much smaller
> > form factors - I've seen SSDs as mini-PCIe cards.
> >

> All of those are only advantages if you are trying to make a combined
> FE/BE that sits in front of your TV, and it's either going to be a low
> capacity system, or cost is no consequence.

    I currently have a 4 disk USB drive enclosure that houses my current
disk set for MythTV recordings. It's full of spinning rust and it is quiet
enough to sit next to my primary frontend. The performance of the unit kind
of sucks but it's fast enough for what it needs to do. If anything is a real
problem, it's all of the blinky lights on the front of the thing