[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 22:41:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On the contrary, for an end user, redundancy is much easier and cheaper to
> implement than backups.  If all you want to do is protect against a single
> drive failure, all you need is one extra drive.  Backups require at minimum
> double the amount of storage, and proper backups involve multiple times the
> amount of storage in rotation.

It depends on your definition of the term "backup".  Using
the vernacular of something like TSM, an *archive* (a complete,
independent copy) certainly takes multiple times the storage
as each is (essentially) container of the current contents at
a point in time (bare metal restoration is sometimes supported).
A system *backup*, on the other hand, can use a database to
track active and inactive files, and only needs to store one copy
of a file with a particular hash (fancier backup systems might
maintain deltas of changed files, rather than a new copy for
each changed file, and data de-duplication solutions exist
so that only one copy of a particular stream of data (sometimes
entire files, sometimes partial files) needs to be kept on the
backup media).  Of course proper archives and backups do also
have multiple copy (and site) requirements, since you can never
tell when the next Chicxulub asteroid will hit (although, I suspect,
TV will be the least of your worries when it does).