[mythtv-users] Logging Best Practices?

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sat Jul 19 13:05:15 UTC 2014

The Gentoo mytthv package is overdue for some logging improvement, and
I was interested in whether anybody has done a survey of what various
distros and the devs are doing here.

I see that mythlogserver is going away by default in 0.28, so perhaps
moving away from that by default in 0.27 would also make sense.

I also see that by default console logging is less complete (seems
like there should be an option for that - if I didn't want logs I'd
pass --quiet or something).

What would be the best default, especially considering things like:
1.  Console logging is apparently not desirable for bug reports.
2.  Logging without logserver apparently isn't logrotate-friendly.
3.  Users could be using systemd, or not (ie consider the journal, and
minimize the need for shell scripting when launching myth programs).

I'm thinking that perhaps non-forking services with journal logging
might be the simplest option for systemd users, and for non-systemd I
may keep the mythlogserver default in 0.27 but parameterize the init
script to make it easy to substitute syslog/direct/etc instead.
(Logrotate users not using systemd will just be stuck when 0.28 comes
along I guess unless 0.28 accepts HUP.)

What is everybody else doing?

Rich