[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct TBA Listings

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:55:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/18/2014 04:00 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I am interested in understanding why you think the JSON grabber 'overloads' the mythconverg database.

> I think he's talking about the fact that it adds tables that are only useful
> to the Schedules Direct JSON grabber

Geoff,

Correct.  There are a number of good references regarding
proper database design and normalization, and such.  I
would refer you to them (start with the Codd classic, and
then move from there).

To be honest, MythTV itself does not follow all the
"recommendations"/"rules" either, but at least it
is all MythTV.  But for something so clearly outside
of MythTV itself (a SD JSON grabber should ideally
be able to be used in alternative XMLTV apps that
do not have MythTV installed at all), this would
logically be completely independent of the
mythconverg database.  Create a new DB if you
need a DB for maintaining state.  If the existing
XMLTV schema is insufficient, fix it (although I will
note that last I checked there were 3 different lineup
proposals, none accepted, and work essentially
abandoned on moving forward).

It will be interesting to see what user "assumptions"
(and "interesting" scripts) break if the embedded DB
happens and external access is limited to formal
Service APIs and bindings.  I look forward to
the embedded DB changes by our dev overloads :-)