[mythtv-users] uPnP Music in 0.27.3 - cannot read file (fixed?)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jul 16 20:26:54 UTC 2014

On 09/07/14 07:46, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/07/14 23:34, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, July 9, 2014, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>

>>         Scan for new music
>>
>>         No need to 'Select Music' for upnp; menu shows them all
>>
>>         For playback in frontend, need to tick boxes in 'Select music'
>>

>> Just tried it on my Sony Bravia , music plays just fine against 0.27.3
>>

> ... so maybe it's part of the #9446 'fix for Sony' package.  I'm about
> to go off-line again.

Hi again.  I'm back home with my laptop after a few days served by a
different transmitter and with uPnP via a 'link-local' cable (no router,
no internet).

My 'Sony' suggestion was made without sufficient thought.  It didn't fit
the observations I had.  But now I have a new one:

'Music' files play via uPnP in 0.27.3 _if_ they have been 'Imported'
into the subdirectory structure created and used by MythMusic within the
directory allocated to it during frontend setup.  The 'Import' tool is
at Frontend Setup > Media Settings >  Music Tools

This is something that wasn't previously needed, at least for playback
of content, in setting up for uPnP playback of Videos and Music. If I
had noticed it at all, I had thought its primary purpose was to retain
links between the file and its metadata, and I had just dropped the file
into the configured directory and 'Scanned for Changes'.  That no longer
works for 'music'.  Perhaps a pop-up warning might be appropriate.

Two other points about uPnP 'music'

The 'Import' tool doesn't recognise mp2-encoded files with an .mp2
suffix.  Simply renaming to .mp3 seems to work fine.  I suppose there
may be a 'setting' that would do the same.

During playback I see a static picture which is, I suspect, provided by
Panasonic, with a data overlay that includes file duration but not
current position.  With 'Videos' the duration is always shown as zero.

Thanks for other comments. I'll think about them...

John