[mythtv-users] Resolved by itself?: Myth machine hangs

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Jul 16 18:48:16 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 10:22 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 12.02 on the machine on which I run MythTV, both
> back end and front end. (Note: this is not mythbuntu exactly, but the
> garden variety Ubuntu 12.02 with Gnome fall back (or whatever it was
> called -- not Unity). Normally I let the machine run 24/7. Over the
> past few days I've turned the TV on and found that the machine is
> hung. I get no response to the remote control, or the wireless USB
> keyboard. I tried connecting with ssh from another machine without
> success. The only thing that I've tried that works is to force a power
> down and then restart.

Thanks to all for the recommendations to watch the machine temperatures,
run a memory test, look into recent system upgrades, check the smart
tests on the hard drive, and running top. I checked the machine temps,
ran memory tests, etc. It's coming up on a month since these incidents
occurred. Ever since I started running top on an ssh connection from my
main machine I've had no problems. I've run Update Manager a few times
since then, too. MythTV and the machine are running faithfully.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens