[mythtv-users] Channel switching with pvr-350/dc50x

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jul 15 14:01:52 UTC 2014

On 14/07/14 10:05 PM, Don Brett wrote:
> On 7/10/2014 10:58 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 7 July 2014 02:40, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>>
>>> started this thread.  I'll report back once the additional ram is
>>> installed.
>> I doubt it will make any difference.
>>
>> I can't explain any of the behaviour you are seeing.
>>
>> myth continuing to work and play audio when you've killed X ?
>>
> It's as if a separate instance of a player is running.  For example,  If
> I ssh into the box with a terminal (think Putty) and start playing a
> music file with mplayer from the terminal, it plays...independent of x.
> I can kill x, but mplayer keeps running.
>
> i.e. sudo mplayer songtitle.mpg
>
> But I'm not using a separate player (that I know of)...

After getting in with ssh, try  'ps -ae | grep myth'  and 'ps -ae | grep
mplayer' while doing the same things.

If you ssh in, and start mplayer'ing something *in that terminal
session* it is separate from X. It is like booting into "runlevel 3" (I
think that is 'multi-user.target now), logging into one console, and
starting your mplayer session, and then logging into another console and
starting X.   'ps -ae' will show the instances, but will not
differentiate the console to which they "belong".

And it *is* quite possible to start more than one mythfrontend session.
I have a button on my remote mapped to irexec to start/stop the
frontend. On the monitor the only way to tell that you have more than
one mythfrontend running (in the X session), is to use Alt-Tab to cycle
through the windows/frames in the session.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury