[mythtv-users] Display lost on HDMI TV power cycle

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:04:35 UTC 2014

Hoi Hika,

Monday, July 14, 2014, 7:58:27 PM, you wrote:

> Hoi Hika,

> Monday, July 14, 2014, 7:37:40 PM, you wrote:

>> Hoi NickS,

>> Monday, July 14, 2014, 7:20:16 PM, you wrote:

>>> After further investigation, it seems that in order to use a legacy
>>> kernel +  fglrx (ATI proprietary driver) I'd need to revert to a
>>> Mythbuntu 12.04  installation which uses an older  X-server v1.12.
>>> So the only viable solution would be to find the
>>> settings/configuration  needed on Mythbuntu 14.04 with the open
>>> radeon driver. Hopefully such a  solution exists??? I'm still
>>> searching and trying stuff in vain :(

>> I suddenly get an idea that might help. With KMS you can at boottime
>> with kernel parameters enable or disable ports. With video=HDMI-0:e
>> you enable and with video=HDMI-0:d you disable.  Substitute HDMI-0
>> with the right names. You have to enable KMS with modeset=1 for this
>> to work. If you have your driver as a module, you give it as module
>> parameters.
>> See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Mode_Setting

>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

> And similar to that you probably could restart the port with xrandr
> xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode <your-mode>
> check with xrandr for available modes or you can add one with:
> xrandr --newmode "your-name" <modeline>
> xrandr --addmode HDMI-0 <your-name>
> xrandr --output HDMI-0 --mode <your-name>

> If you put it in a script you can ultimately put it under a
> remote-control button.

Oh and with that KMS option. I used it long time ago to force a tv-out
on at boot time, while the tv was not on or even connected. So try it
with the tv off at boottime and then turning it on later. This way it
might force your card not to listen to the tv.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop