[mythtv-users] Still trying to get Ceton InfiniTV working

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:28:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Joseph DeGraw <coffee412 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have comcrap and the ceton 4 port card. Works fine. No problems. That
> being said, Perhaps your problem might be a bad cable card? I have heard of
> that happening. Otherwise I would agree with the other posters that its a
> comcrap screw up. Probably not paired correctly. Perhaps as they were typing
> in the numbers they screwed it up? -- Something like that.

In every case where I have activated CableCARDs, I always have the
CSR read the numbers back to me to insure they are the same.  No
one is perfect when reading/entering 38 random digits every time.

However, there are a number of issues where the Data ID can get
reset, or the CableCARD is not properly provisioned in your account
such that you will not get your channels.  Most of them can be
fixed (as long as you know what you are doing and know what
to look for), but often the easiest solution is just exchange the
card, avoiding having to work through the issues, which can easily
take many hours, and even days for complex issues.

> I had an issue where my card would not pick up some channels. They had a
> filter on the line that caused the problem.

The filter issue (and the costs to roll a truck) is one of the reasons
that Comcast and the others were able to convince the FCC to
change the rules to allow encryption of basic.  Comcast now
tends to remove all filters as a matter of practice whenever they visit
a location to avoid future issues.  In the long run, the filter issue will
be a long forgotten memory (which means the next buyer of the
residence in twenty years that expands their service will encounter
a tech which has never seen a filter before.  I am sure that will
work out well for someone :-)

> I really dont like comcrap.

Then choose a different provider (with a different set of "issues").
In some locations the choices are minimal, which means you
need to be active in your local politics to change the choices
available to yourself (and others).  Attend each and every council
meeting where the franchise agreements are discussed, and
have prepared comments relevant to the discussion.  Get
yourself in the (community input) group that reviews the
franchise agreement compliance and make your position known.
Will it make a difference?  Maybe not, but not trying insures
it will not make a difference.

Gary