[mythtv-users] Channel switching with pvr-350/dc50x

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 03:22:53 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:

>  Any suggestions for the next step?

There seems to be a couple different things going on here,
including some method where the FE keeps running (audio)
even after X is killed.  That sounds more than a bit strange
to me.  And a PVR-x50/500 does not tend to produce a minute
of pixelated video unless the input is also pixelated.  I presume
the same channel when played back after recording looks
fine?  Are you using RF or attempting Composite input to
the PVR-350 with a separate audio feed?

> Note - Box has 2 gig of ram / video card has 1 gig of ram ...enough?

2GB is a bit low, but likely enough, but with some of your
other symptoms, it is possible that the box is resource
constrained in some way.

I think you are going to have to provide a bit more detail
regarding your system and how it is being setup.

At this point, I am likely just guessing, since I removed
all my PVR-x50 cards from my BE many many many
years ago.  Perhaps someone else has a better idea.

I will note that if your cable provider is one of the big
players, when they deleted analog they are required
by the FCC rules to provide you with a CableCARD
for "free" for a year (or more; circumstances will vary).
You might want to consider an OCUR (CableCARD)
tuner if your provider does not mark all the content
copy-once.