[mythtv-users] OT: Does 1080p work over a wireless link between STB and TV

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Jul 5 18:11:09 UTC 2014

On 07/05/2014 11:12 AM, Rob Jensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Next day delivery doesn't help so much when you've got 12 hours to bring a
>  > system online, and you discover your idiot contractor ran and certified UTP
>  > near a not-yet-energized 480V circuit. :)
> I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd imagine that the majority of us prefer
> the reliability of a cable vs. dealing with wireless interference.
>   Understanding that this is Larry's daughter's place and not his own, he's
> probably in the same thought and are trying to get it to "just work" at the
> "good enough" level of quality.
>
> Presuming that he's being asked to help fix her problem and not start a new
> project, I would try using the wireless bridge and return it as defective if it
> doesn't perform up to expectations.
>
> If Larry is looking for a project (which he implies that he isn't, as he's
> asking our advice for what he hopes to be a simple solution), I would:
>
>   * Attach a pull-line to one end of the HDMI cable w/ electrical tape
>   * Pull the HDMI cable out from the other end w/out cutting the pull-line yet
>   * Attach a new cable that you want to run to the pull line w/ electrical tape.
>       Tape the end of the new cable such that there's no edge to catch on any
>     edges within the walls.
>   * Pull cable through w/ pull line
>   * Clean up as appropriate
>
> Hopefully the work zone involves more vertical than horizontal runs.  With
> vertical runs, gravity can be your friend.  With horizontal runs, gravity is
> always fighting against you.  Worst case here is that whoever drilled the holes
> in the wall sealed the holes in the top/floor plates (somewhat likely) or
> crammed too much through such that pull line comes through (less likely).

I am 400 miles from my daughter's house, and I am only a consultant on this
project. She installed the original cable, and knows that it would be impossible
to pull a new one without substantial numbers of holes in the existing walls.
She could do that, and repair the damage, but that would take a lot of time. As
she is getting the house ready for sale in order to move from Minneapolis to
Seattle, she would rather find a quick solution.

Larry