[mythtv-users] Schedulesdirect Guide updates? World Cup: Round of 16: 1H vs 2G

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 2 10:35:43 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 10:48 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

>     As far as a more user-friendly approach, my suggestion would be to
>     get rid of the built-in Schedules Direct support, use XMLTV's
>     tv_grab_na_dd script for North American users (just like we do for
>     the rest of the world's users), and then it would just work.  That
>     said, there are some stumbling blocks to getting to that point
>     (inertia/disagreement with the approach being the biggest one,
>     though not at all the only one).
>

> Mike, is there a way to implement this on an individual basis, or are
> major changes involved?

Yes, but at this point I would recommend against doing so.

While MythTV has complete support for using any compliant XMLTV grabber
(including tv_grab_na_dd), XMLTV lacks support for some of the data
that's available from Schedules Direct and is actually used by MythTV
for Schedules Direct users.  Therefore, if you switch to using
tv_grab_na_dd, you'd no longer receive some of the data your system has
been using for a while, and it would make your future data a little
worse than your past data.  This is one of the things that would have to
be addressed to make the switch--getting XMLTV support for the
additional data that's available.

So, the easiest way to get the desired result (most-up-to-date listings
data) is to just add --dd-grab-all to "Guide data arguments", if your
system is powerful enough to handle it.

Mike