[mythtv-users] Schedulesdirect Guide updates? World Cup: Round of 16: 1H vs 2G

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 2 02:32:26 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 02:26 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> See
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
>> and
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416
>> for details about --dd-grab-all .
> It's probably about time for a more user friendly way to set this
> option, no?  If not to make it the default?

I'd agree that it's time to make it the default, but I'm pretty sure all
the people using underpowered systems for their master backends and/or
MySQL servers will disagree about it being time for them to upgrade.
(In other words, nothing has changed since I posted those links.  It's
still significantly more CPU and I/O intensive--actually probably
significantly more so, now, thanks to file system barriers being enabled
everywhere--compared to the default approach and will cause problems
(missed recordings and more) if used on
underpowered-for-those-CPU-and-I/O-requirements systems.

As far as a more user-friendly approach, my suggestion would be to get
rid of the built-in Schedules Direct support, use XMLTV's tv_grab_na_dd
script for North American users (just like we do for the rest of the
world's users), and then it would just work.  That said, there are some
stumbling blocks to getting to that point (inertia/disagreement with the
approach being the biggest one, though not at all the only one).

Mike