[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 0.26 to 0.27 broke firewire

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:59:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have struggled with the firewire issue - megabytes of "no input in xxxx
> msec" in the log and no recording. It seems to be random as to when it
> happens. I had it consistently for 6 months then it stopped. That was with
> mythtv 0.24. It stopped for a year or so then started again on mythtv 0.26.
> At that time somebody on this forum recommended changing to a firewire card
> with Intel chipset instead of VIA chipset. Evidently there was a bug in the
> firewire Linux driver for that chipset. Since I changed to a card with
> Intel it has not happened.
> My fix for when this happens is a script that restarts the backend. If you
> kill and restart the backend, it picks up the recording again and does not
> have that error again in that recording. (sudo restart mythtv-backend in
> Ubuntu).
> My script continuously monitors the log file and kills the backend when
> those errors happen for a couple of seconds. Very little recording is lost
> but the recording is split into two files.
> Look here for my scripts
> https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/
> The monitor script is here
>
> https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/monitor.sh
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't believe any of the MythTV devs have firewire anymore.  Most people
that did have switched to cable card.

That being said, if you post logs from mythbackend with "-v channel,record"
I will look and see if I can spot any obvious problems.  One of my TODO
list items is to rewrite the firewire code to conform to the multirec
method used by the other input types -- however I am not looking forward to
it, since I will have no way to test it...

John