[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 21:58:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Thursday, January 30, 2014, Greg Thompson <gthompson20 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok,
>>
>> Here is my final Verdict on the Haswell NUC Core i3 Model # D34010WYKH
>>
>> I built Myth .27 fixes from source (git pull tonight) and I can confirm
>> that the new build does in fact get rid of 99% of the stutter with the video
>> when the EPG is on the screen with 1 caveat:
>> I have to be running either VAAPI with its Crappy Deinterlacing Support OR
>> OpenGL with a software or Hardware non 2x Deinterlacer. If I run any 2x
>> deinterlacer the video gets Jerky once the OSD or EPG comes up.
>>
>> Other than that I have been able to get the Nuvoton CIR receiver to work
>> with IR-Keytable and LIRC and get the Media Center RC6 protocol remote to
>> work great.
>>
>> If I could just run OpenGL with a HW 2x Deinterlacer I think this would be
>> a GREAT fronted.. As is, I think I will have to live with a bit worse
>> deinterlacing and run it on a secondary TV.
>>

> Another option would be to set your video playback as interlaced, and to
> select the deinterlacer option that only make sure the order of the frames
> are always the same.
>
> That way your TV does the deinterlacing.
>
> For video playback, it will likely look better. There may be some flicker in
> displaying the UI itself.
>
> Worth trying I think.
>
> Now one issue is attempting to play progressive content. You can always set
> myth to match the refresh rate of the video being played. But then the
> current algorithm will always put priority on 2* progressive fps, rather
> than the interlaced output.
> Eg: 60Hz interlaced -> 30fps ->screen set at 60Hz.
>
> It may be worth adding an option to override that behaviour. Wouldn't be too
> difficult.

Another option would be to set your video playback as interlaced, and
to select the deinterlacer option that only make sure the order of the
frames are always the same.

That way your TV does the deinterlacing.

I'd like to try this, but I don't have the same configuration that the
wiki talks about. It says "3.1 General playback
3.1.1 Deinterlace playback"
and I have "General playback
vertical/horizontal scaling and scan displacement"
I'm using steppes 2.3 fixes 0.27 in an Ubuntu 120.4 lts desktop.
I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks Daryl