[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Thu Jan 30 17:37:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 04:18:51AM -0500, zixiekat at gmail.com wrote:
>    I can't speak for mythtv in regards to streaming; I use it for OTA only. I
>    use xbmc for streaming. While it won't give you a concise list of only the
>    shows you want, the 'Free Cable' plug in for xbmc gives you most of the
>    major networks, no commercials.   It pulls the video from the hosting
>    service directly. (akamai, theplatform, etc)
>    I use it with abc, nbc, cbs, food and pbs. I can't recall off hand the
>    other networks. Google it.   Might be worth looking into, even if it does
>    mean running xbmc from a myth menu.  :)

Not a mythtv solution, but understood, thanks for lettting me know.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:20:14AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> You could probably eliminate the $10 HD fee by returning the
> Comcast STB and just using the HDHR Prime with MythTV

I already did, the $10 fee is so that they don't de-activate all the HD
channels on my cablecard.
I'm only paying $3 equipment fee for the cable card IIRC, so that's not
the problem. There is a reason why I hate comcast...

> rather than using their STB.  Call it their TiVo discount.  The
> second HD fee is for access to HD programming, and except
> for some special franchises, is rarely seen on today's bills, as it
> is (indirectly) included with your channel tier.  However, all
> the cable providers have various other fees to make ones day).

Since I'm trying to get the lowest level of service that isn't OTA,
those bastards do indeed tack on the $10 HD fee to make sure you
(over)pay them no matter what (well, until you cut off the cable
entirely that is).

> > OTA:
> > - 60 minutes
> > - KQED: Nova
> > - SNL
> > - Simpsons
>
> IFF you are in reasonable range, these can just
> be gotten OTA via an antenna with MythTV and
> your original ATSC HDHR (the Prime cannot do
> ATSC).

Yep, I also had the regular HDHR.

Thanks for the answers, and OMG the ensuing thread...

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901