[mythtv-users] Backend powered off/shutdown unexpectedly!

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 08:20:31 UTC 2014

Hello Ian,

There's actually a few things that could cause a power off..

First worth mentioning, as you say you recently started having issues after
adding more hardware and this more power drain on certain parts of the
power supply, that there may be sizing issues or perhaps a power supply
going bad depending on its age and usage margin between rated output and
actual usage ... Or you may be one of the unlucky ones with capacitors that
pop open and cause the pay to die an early death.

Other parts would be an ACPI power off from the power button if something
bumped it... This should be logged if kernel logs are enabled. I don't know
which release of Ubuntu you are on but newer ones may log different than
older ones. The version would be helpful, but often these are in /var/log
and usually called messages or a kernel log file name. I'm not an Ubuntu
person myself so perhaps someone more versed could chime in on this
aspect... I use syslog-ng on funtoo myself...

Finally there is always overheating potential, which cab be logged via a
sensors program, usually included or easily installed. I know of
LM_sensors, which can be run with 'sensors' from a command line or ssh once
the appropriate settings are found. There is an auto configure script if I
remember correctly, its been a while.

Hope this helps!

Mike