[mythtv-users] H265 support?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Jan 29 21:49:04 UTC 2014

On 29.01.2014 22:15, Mike Hodson wrote:
> Really? Why doesn't mythtv link against system ffmpeg?

For historical reasons. The situation is different today but someone has
to do actual work to merge both code bases and rewrite some parts of
MythTV that need to be aligned to the FFmpeg way. Do you want to be that
someone?

> Stupid forks of ffmpeg make me so damn perturbed because they never work
> right.  Just code your software to use normal ffmpeg.

You may rest assured that we our fork is very smart. If coding to use
normal FFmpeg had been an option back then it would surely have been
done so.

> So what if ffmpeg API and ABI keep changing. Require a version of it and
> not fork your own.

MythTV was not compatible with the latest and greatest API/ABI changes
when I looked last, luckily we ship a version that we are compatible with.

Forking is a tool, take a look at
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/network/members Spoiler alert: There
are many a forks listed over there. I can't say if they are of the smart
or stupid kind, though.

Regards,
Karl