[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 13:31:36 UTC 2014

John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:

> Nope.  When the deal becomes take it or leave it, I'm already planning
> on leaving it.

And a tip for everyone thinking of leaving.

Write to the "the man at the top" personally telling them that you are leaving because they seem to be going out of their way to may using their service more and more uncomfortable. Keep polite, stick to facts, and tell then (politely) what they can do to make their service worth paying for again.

Will one letter make any difference ? Not the slightest. But if a few did write, then the guys at the top might start asking questions - they won't be used to getting many letters at all* AND they probably have no idea what's going on "downstairs"**. Nothing will change in the short term, but if the people at the top start hearing about how such measures are pissing off their (ex) customers, then they will start asking why the measures are there and whether they can be removed.
When "the man at the top" starts asking why you're pissing off the customers, then you may just start to see the very slightest hint of changes happening, very slowly, and some time into the future.

But it needs lots of people to take the trouble to write to "the man at the top" and tell them this. It also needs people to figure out how to get that letter to "the man" without it being filtered out by the front line droids.

* Example. Many years ago I had an interest in a proposed law change here in the UK. I was told that MPs consider 10 or 20 letters on a subject to be a "large number" such is the lethargy amongst the general population. I think we had managed to get hundreds to some of our MPs.
I believe the same will be true of the top people in businesses. Most people will never get beyond moaning at the droid in the "retentions dept" as they cancel their contract.

** The guys putting this sh*t in place will just be passing up the message that it's just a bit of technology to stop the cable thieves.