[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jan 29 00:46:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 09:22 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 12:13 AM, John Morris wrote:
> > Know what else?  I currently have to pay Suddenlink for a half dozen
> > channels I can't actually watch.  (TBS, TVLAND, OXYGEN, CHILLER, SYFY,
> > one of the FOX sports channels, etc.)
>
> Actually, no.  That's completely untrue.  You *can* watch all of those
> channels.  You just can't record them into MythTV (well, you can--just
> need an HD-PVR or PVR-150).  If you want to watch them, use the
> cable-co-provided equipment and everything just works "automagically."

Not exactly.  I have a Homerun Prime + CableCard.  My only available PC
that could run media center is a Thinkpad that is work issued so I can't
buy the add on.  Not all PCs even qualify for the right to buy, and few
self built ones do, but all of my own are Microsoft Free anyway.  My
Sony BD player can only see the copy freely content.  I rent a
CableCard, and I pay for service, expecting it to actually work should
not be an unreasonable demand, especially since they all DID work when I
first signed up.  Maybe you meekly bend over and allow them to dictate
the equipment you use, I won't.  If the next time they 'change the
bargain' they demand the purchase of one of three (all crappy)
televisions to watch their precious content upon will you again bow to
their demands?  When enough channels that I care about stop I'll join
ranks of the cord cutters.

Some of the missing channels would be available in standard def if I
bought a non-prime but aren't available with a CableCard present.  TBS
HD is actually available on my TV's QAM tuner but not via CableCard.
Madness.

> Again, you can watch it...

Watching TV without Myth after a decade of having it would be pointless
for me, certainly not worth the subscription fees at any rate.  And I
have seen the Suddenlink DVR.  It blows.

> If you really want to watch them, get SuddenLink equipment.  If you
> really want to record them into MythTV, get an HD-PVR (or multiple--one
> per SuddenLink STB).

Nope.  When the deal becomes take it or leave it, I'm already planning
on leaving it.  I have had cable for decades and almost of it has been
freely recordable on VCRs or Myth with no mucking about with cable
boxes.  They seem intent on making their product harder and harder to
actually use; why fight em too hard, they make it difficult enough and
they can join AT&T and POTS lines in the history books.  Stupid should
hurt.