[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Jan 28 20:49:12 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 18:04, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I notice that Newegg has the
>
> Intel NUC Kit DC3217BY Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz HD
> Graphics 4000 Integrated by CPU Chassis for $180
>
> I currently use a 2007 MacMini2,1 Core 2 Duo/2GHZ/GMA graphics as a
> backend/frontend, which except for boot uses a large external USB disk
> for Linux and Myth storage. The poor support of GMA on Linux going
> forward has me looking for a replacement of similar footprint. The
> HDMI on the NUC would also make things easier.
>
> This low end NUC is the right size and price. I would use my existing
> external disk and just need to add ram.
>
> I'm not familiar with how good the HD4000 is at MPEG2 under
> Linux/Myth. How would it stack up against my old Mini?
>
> I do use bluetooth and IR which are built in on the Mini. Not clear to
> me if the NUC has either. I guess there are USB solutions if necessary.

Ken,
By curiosity I do tests on i3 3220T (dual core + HT, 2.8GHz, HD2500).
Content was 1080i at 50, aprox 3.5-4.5Mb/s
Results are more-or-less following:
-VaAPI: 2-5% per core
-MythTV Normal profile, Yadif x2: 15-25% per core
-MythTV High profile: 20-30% per core
-MythTV OpenGL Normal: 30-35% per core
-MythTV OpenGL High: 45-60% per core

On MythTV Normal profile I have 10 or so deinterlacers to choose. I do
tests on Yadiff x2.
My CPU is faster per clock but Your CPU has better IPC and have turbo =
2.6GHz - so I think effectively Your NUC is only 30-50% slower than
3220T (I'm guessing here).
I think You shouldn't have any problems with software
decoding/deinterlacing on NUC.
For reference, I do tests on following software components:

Linux 3.13
Xserver 1.14.5
ALSA 1.0.27.2
MESA 9.2.5
LCDproc 0.5.6
Intel Xorg graphics driver 2.99.907
Intel VAAPI driver 1.2.2
VAAPI libva library 1.2.1
DRM libdrm library 2.4.52

I'm wonder what version of libvaapi backend You have in Your system. I
do tests on 1.2.2.
I'm asking about this as IIRC 1.2.2 offers motion compensation DI on
Haswell...

br