[mythtv-users] Ogg Vorbis streaming radio metadata

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Tue Jan 28 18:16:43 UTC 2014

On 27/01/14 23:12, Morgan McBee wrote:
> When I play the Radio Paradise 192k Ogg Vorbis stream with metadata in
> MythMusic, I get sound but no metadata. I know there is metadata there
> because it works fine with other players. The metadata works fine with
> the AAC streams in MythMusic. Any ideas why it doesn't work?
>
> Here are the links:
> http://www.radioparadise.com/#name=Listen
>
> Thanks.

We only support shoutcast/ice streams where the metadata is interleaved
in the datastream every x bytes (where x is a number chosen by the
broadcaster). My guess is the ogg stream doesn't comply with the
shoutcast format and is probably embedding the metadata in a tag or similar.

To be fair to us Paradise themselves admit that some players can't
handle the embedded metadata.

<quote>
We have not included song titles in our Ogg streams due to glitches with
some players (notably VLC & certain hardware players). Since some
players don't have this problem, we're now providing Ogg streams that
include song title metadata. Players that reportedly don't glitch on
title updates are Winamp, Audacious, foobar2000, ogg123, Rhythmbox, and
Songbird.
<\quote>

The good news is we don't glitch :) the bad news is we don't get any
metadata for these ogg streams :(. I tried one of the mp3 streams and
that played fine and also got the metadata. I didn't try but I would
assume the aac streams will also work.

We use ffmpeg to decode the stream which appears to remove the metadata
while decoding so it may be possible to get the metadata from there.
There may be a callback we can attach to to get it?

Paul H.