[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 28 15:06:20 UTC 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 8:31, Greg Thompson <gthompson20 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the new Haswell NUC Core i3 and tried to use it as a fronted… I have had no success in getting pure software rendering to work with the latest Intel Open Source Graphics Installer. When Using XV-BLIT it just runs at maybe 1 frame a second. VAAPI does work (with limited de-interlacing options) and OpenGL works ok, but both have annoying stutter when any OSD graphics come up.

MythTV does not do software rendering, specifically because software rendering will be painfully slow.  See how much CPU Flash video typically consumes to see an example of this.  Xv, OpenGL, and VAAPI are all forms of hardware rendering, offloading conversion, scaling, and compositing to the GPU.  The only way to accomplish software rendering is to do software emulated OpenGL using the MESA libraries.