[mythtv-users] Repeating MythContext Message: Backend online

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Tue Jan 28 15:01:44 UTC 2014

On 28.01.2014 03:39, Matt S. wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Thomas Winteler <wintich at gmail.com
> <mailto:wintich at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello list
>
>     Since I'm on 0.27 (current:
>     0.27.0+fixes.20140122.5a5e1cd-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4) i get this error,
>     while navigation trough recorded shows and/or watching a recorded
>     show: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6824776/. I have a separate backend
>     and two frontends...
>
>     On backend i also checked Networking problem and changed the Network
>     interface. There i have a mainboard with two onboard 1GiB network
>     interfaces. On both the problem is still there.
>
>     I also watch recored show over an android DNLA client, without any
>     problem.
>
>     I also searched the web and found this reports:
>     http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2013-October/355415.html
>     http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11929
>
>     Sometimes, if i restart the backend server and try then navigating
>     trough shows or watch one, message from MythContext don't show up
>     for first minutes, but after some time, the are stil repeating.
>
>     If i can provide more details, let me know how and what you need.
>
>     Thanks a lot for your help.
>
>     Regards
>     thomi
>
> I'm the reporter of the ticket above.  I see the same behavior
> frequently on both of my frontends.  I do not believe it's a network
> issue, as I've heard you and a few others describe the same issue and it
> seems to be tied to issue in the backend.  If you stop and restart the
> backend, it'll stop doing it for a long period of time.  Also, these
> symptoms did not occur in 0.26, regardless of the fact that mythcontext
> didn't notify then.  It's not just the message appearing, it's the fact
> the the watch recordings list will not populate and is unresponsive
> during this flapping connection to the backend.
>
> There is definitely something going on in 0.27 that causes this bad
> behavior - it is a bug.

I had the problem with the backend online/offline and a very slowly
responding frontend too. I figured out that it was caused by a lot of
HTML in the description of some recordings.

I use mythnettv to import TWIT podcasts, wich have a lot of HTML and
external links in the description. Now I delete these descriptions after
running mythnettv with a script and the problem is gone.

HTH
Thomas