[mythtv-users] No Programs Listed in "Media Library"

Tom Wheeler tomwheel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:52:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> In that case, and because of the "RemoteGetRecordingList() list size
> appears to be incorrect." message, I'd guess that there was some
> corrupt/unhandled data in your channel data that, when channel information
> was pulled in for display with your recordings, caused a failure.  I'm not
> sure what exactly could cause that, but I'd (wild) guess it could be
> something like a null character in a channel name or call sign or something
> like that.  If so, it would be good to find out exactly what was causing it
> so that we could write code to prevent such bad data getting into the
> database.

I think you've nailed it. I noticed in the list of channels that a local
broadcaster has several channels whose names ended with an garbled
character rendered on the screen kind of like "3ABN Teaching T□" (rather
than "3ABN Teaching TV"). I didn't watch or knowingly record those
channels, and in fact, I deleted them from the list this time around. But I
do have a copy of the backend.log I ran with the debug setting:

  http://pastebin.com/JB4nTtK7

And I observe that the log line corresponding to a normal channel looks
like this:

2014-01-22 20:54:24.766968 D  MSqlQuery::next(DBManager1) Result: "channum
= 16_1, callsign = KDTL-DT, chanid = 1161, atsc_major_chan = 16,
atsc_minor_chan = 1, name = KDTL-DT, icon = , mplexid = 7, visible = 1,
sourceid = 1, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT cardinput.cardid) = 4,2,3,1,
GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT channelgroup.grpid) = , xmltvid = 77034"

while one for one of the offending channels is missing everything after the
weird character, like this:

2014-01-22 20:54:24.767209 D  MSqlQuery::next(DBManager1) Result: "channum
= 25_3, callsign = 3ABN-DD, chanid = 1253, atsc_major_chan = 25,
atsc_minor_chan = 3, name = 3ABN Teaching T

And looking at a database backup I made when I was having the problem, I
can see that the character in the channels table is \0