[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 18:01:51 UTC 2014

On 1/27/14, 12:26 PM, CACook at Quantum-Sci.com wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:09:30 -0500
> "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> No, devs hate it because it seems to be a direct violation of Dish
>> network's Terms of Service.
>>
>> See
>> http://www.dish.com/legal/
>> and
>> http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/Residential-Agreement.pdf?WT.svl=video-plan-agreements-files
>> (especially section 4.G. "You agree that you will not try to
>> reverse-engineer, decompile or disassemble, /nor will you tamper with
>> or modify, any software or hardware contained within any receiver of
>> Smart Card. Such actions are strictly prohibited and may result in
>> the termination of this Agreement, disconnection of your Services
>> and/or legal action.")
> Thank you for your concern over my contract with Dish.  But this has absolutely nothing to do with Myth or Myth devs (or you), and Myth is not subject to any sort of legal action as --Myth does not have a contract with Dish--.
>
> Be advised that the receiver --does not belong to Dish-- and therefore those passages are irrelevant.  And I haven't "tampered" with any software nor reverse-engineered anything.

Did you go to a special school in being wrong?
Look up http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201 .
Trafficking in circumvention methods is unlawful. End of story.
I'm an information security professional. Part and parcel of my duties
is knowing what the law says and ensuring compliance with the law.