[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .20 to .27

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 26 21:06:28 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 02:28 PM, Lord Kage wrote:
> Still no love.
>
> At this point, I would just settle for a sane set of instructions on
> how to dump the DB (either using mysqldump or mythconverg_backup.pl),

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore (still works with
0.20 database schema), and is something you /should/ do before any
upgrade attempt, even though...

>  then update its schema/data for .27 before importing into the new
> machine.

There is no supported way of updating the schema version outside of
MythTV applications.  The only thing that can upgrade a database schema
is mythtv-setup (or, not ideally, the master backend).

If you just want to get your old recordings somewhere you can view them
on a new system, my recommendation is to use mythlink.pl to make links
with (almost***) appropriate naming (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing ), then change the
names of your recordings to be the link names, then create a brand-new
0.27-fixes database (with nothing in it), and stick all of the recording
videos into Video Library (formerly MythVideo).  In 0.27 (since like
0.24ish?), Video Library has had excellent support for metadata grabbing
and TV shows (as well as the traditional movie support), meaning you can
import all your old recordings and have it look up metadata so you have
great title/subtitle/description/season/episode/... information.  And,
if you organize it properly, it's actually much better than Watch
Recordings for managing large collections (er, libraries :) of video.

See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758

Then, you can just set up recording rules and either a) go through
upcoming recordings every couple of weeks marking shows you've already
see as Never Record, or b) let it record shows, and if you've already
seen them (or already have a copy), delete them so MythTV will know not
to record it again.

With this approach, you only lose your recording history, but it's not
/that/ big a deal.

Mike

*** You won't be able to get season or episode numbers with
mythlink.pl/the information available in the database about your
recordings, but you can use either original airdate or start time to get
them organized and then use thetvdb.com or tv.com to get the rest of the
info.