[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 00:37:56 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 18:47:19 -0500
> From: darylangela at gmail.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] UDEV rules

..snip..

> I haven't got ssh set up on any of my computers at this point. What I
> did do though was stop the BE via the terminal, then launch BE setup,
> and this time it did not ask for authorization to shut down the BE,
> but still no success with changing in the symlink names. Even though
> it said failed to open or could not get information for, I loaded them
> that way anyway, went to the FE and each card was off line.

Daryl - do the cards all still say offline? If the changes are not properly reversed you may find none of your recordings work.

If I understand correctly, in mythtv-setup you should not need to 'type' the links in. When you go to the capture card screens use the up and down arrows until the 'DVB Device' (or equivalent) box is selected and then use left / right arrows to cycle through the device links that mythtv-setup has identified.

If you get 'Could not get card info' messages then possibly that means there are permission issues. Do you run mythtv-setup as the mythtv user, desktop user or root? If I understand correctly the user that runs mythtv-setup needs to be a member of the video group. In a new terminal type:

cat /etc/group | grep video

and check that the user that runs mythtv-setup is a member of the video group.

Also, I saw recently that in some situations (and I can't find the references again) that mythtv-setup does not always stop the backend successfully even though it asks the question and you then answer yes. I now always stop mythbackend manually before running mythtv-setup, and then manually restart mythbackend once I have finished mythtv-setup. To do this, use the appropriate commands in a terminal.

To stop the backend:
sudo service mythtv-backend stop

To start the backend:
sudo service mythtv-backend start