[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 21:06:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> You have to transcode.  The Roku is picky about formats so there's no
> telling if it will play the new hdhr encodings. It would be nice.
>
> Do you know if you could run existing recordings through the HDHR and
> transcode them?  That would be a huge plus.
>
> On my very anemic servers (AMD Athlon Dual Core 4600+) it takes about 10x
> as long to transcode as to play.  I clocked it with a new i3-3240 dual
> core, and it took about 4x.  I figure it needs something like a i5-3470
> quad core to make it reasonable.

I use mythlink.pl to create symlinks to my recordings as human-readable
filenames and tell Plex to monitor the containing folder. I then use the
Plex channel on my Roku 2 XS to stream the tv shows. It transcodes in near
real time and works pretty well. The sticking issue is that mythlink has
been really hit or miss lately so a lot of recordings still don't make it
over(I'm still on 0.26).