[mythtv-users] setting up Video Library

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Jan 23 15:35:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 21:18 -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> You can store an inetref against a recording rule, so recordings will
> automatically pick up the correct series, but when searching for "Family
> of Blood", the TheTVDb API returns nothing, so there's simply nothing
> beyond manual intervention we can do on this end.

Looks like I need to play around and figure out what an "inetref" is.

It also appears that I chose a particularly bad example to test with.
The Doctor Who episodes aren't really the things I want to save in the
Video Library, as they are continually rebroadcast and can always be
re-recorded ("it's only TV" :-) and they seem to have worse-than-most
problems with the metadata. I just picked these because I have a lot of
them on the recordings list at the moment. I may try with some other
series (e.g. "Downton Abbey") and see how that works.

The one thing that prompted all this was actually the AFC Championship
game; that I do want to preserve (my team thrashing their arch rivals
and making it to the Super Bowl doesn't happen all that often).
Obviously I only want to save recordings that I expect to look at
multiple times, and would be difficult or impossible to re-record. And
of course my wife may have some things (including, perhaps, favorite
"Doctor Who (2005)" episodes) that she might want to have preserved.

I'll keep at it, and thanks for all the help and information. I have
learned a lot. If I ever learn enough, I may take a stab at writing this
up. It would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation if this stuff
were documented somewhere.

--Greg